If you have a headache, you’re not alone. Nine out of ten Americans suffer from headaches. Some headaches are occasional, some frequent, some are dull and throbbing, and some cause debilitating pain and nausea.
What do you do when you suffer from a pounding headache? Do you grit your teeth and carry on? Lie down? Pop a pill and hope the pain goes away? There is a better alternative.
Research shows that spinal manipulation – the primary form of care provided by doctors of chiropractic – can be an effective treatment option for tension headaches and headaches that originate in the neck.
Headaches have many causes, or “triggers.” These may include foods, noises, lights, stress, insomnia, blood sugar changes, etc. Ninety-five percent of headaches are primary headaches, such as tension, migraine, or cluster headaches. These types of headaches are not caused by disease.
What Can You Do?
- If you spend a large amount of time in one fixed position, such as in front of a computer, reading, etc., , take a break and stretch every 30 minutes to one hour.
- Low-impact exercise may help relieve the pain associated with headaches.
- Avoid teeth clenching. The upper teeth should never touch the lowers, except when swallowing.
- Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day to help avoid dehydration, which can lead to headaches.
What Can a Chiropractor Do?
Your chiropractor may do one or more of the following if you suffer from a primary headache:
- Perform chiropractic adjustments to improve spinal function and alleviate the stress on your system.
- Provide nutritional advice, recommending a change in diet and perhaps the addition of B complex vitamins.
- Offer advice on posture, exercises and relaxation techniques. This advice should help to relieve the recurring joint irritation and tension in the muscles of the neck and upper back.
Dr. Trent Burrup provides care in Salt Lake City and surrounding areas including West Jordan, South Jordan, Sandy, Draper, Taylorsville, Murray, Riverton, Herriman, Bluffdale, Cottonwood Heights, Holiday, Millcreek, West Valley City, and South Salt Lake. We also provide service to patients that come from the Utah County area and as far north as Logan, and even some from out of state…come experience the difference at The Institute!