Sciatica is persistent pain along the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower back, through the buttock, and into the lower leg. The Sciatic Nerve is the longest and widest nerve in your body. Sciatic pain usually develops from general use, and wear and tear of your lower spine, not as a result of injury.
The 5 Best Ways to Reduce Your Risk for Sciatica:
- Maintain proper posture: People who have good posture help their body to have proper nerve and blood flow, which may be impaired by prolonged poor posture. Poor posture can cause aching, pain, and impaired nerve function over time.
- Exercise regularly: The risk for sciatica is much lower when the muscles and tissues of your body are strong and healthy.
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight: I know, the last thing you want to hear…but it is so true! The better you eat, the better the body works, and a healthy weight puts less pressure on nerves and blood flow, directly affecting the sciatic nerve.
- Use good body mechanics when lifting: Injury is less common as a reason for developing sciatica. However, when injury is involved, poor lifting techniques are a common reason for injury that leads to sciatica.
- Get regular chiropractic care: Chiropractic adjustments offer a drug-free, non-invasive treatment option as well as preventive care for sciatica. The goal of chiropractic treatment is to restore/maintain spinal movement, which improves function while decreasing pain and inflammation. Depending on the cause of the sciatica, your chiropractor may use ice/heat therapy, ultrasound, and rehab exercises in addition to chiropractic adjustments in your treatment.
While it is not always possible to prevent sciatica, these suggestions improve spinal health and the overall health of the body, and can greatly lower your risk for developing sciatica.
The Institute of Chiropractic and Acupuncture Therapy provides chiropractic and wellness care for sciatica and many other conditions. We provide chiropractic and other wellness services to patients in West Jordan and the Salt Lake City Metro area. Come experience the difference at The Institute!
For more information please see our website at SuperDocDC.com.
(Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net.)